Monday, June 7, 2010

Office Newbie

Today’s post is an email I received from someone who started working at a new company a few months ago. Although she already gets along wonderfully with her coworkers, they certainly gave her a bit of a hazing on the dreaded April Fool’s Day.

Here’s her story—I know I got a chuckle out of it. Hope you guys enjoy her moment of misery as much as I did:


“On April 1, my day at the office was definitely a jumble of confusion.

It all started when I walked into the break room for my morning java fix. There, displayed on the counter was a box of delicious looking donuts.

I was very unpleasantly surprised when I bit into a chocolate glazed treat and realized I couldn’t even swallow it. The donuts were apparently stale and extremely old. Eww.

With a certain co worker watching intently to see my reaction, I knew right away he was the culprit. With a few laughs from all of us and the donuts now in the trashcan I thought the prank was over and I was ready to successfully work.

That’s when I remembered that I had to write a report on the papers I had received last week, and rushed off to my desk. I always keep my report papers in my top right hand drawer.

So when I reached over and opened up the drawer, I was more than a little confused to find the cards that my kids had made me last Mother’s Day. I could have sworn that I had put those in the other cabinet. Hmmm…

As I searched further, I realized that all of my belongings where placed in separate drawers! Looks like I had been had again.

I laughed quietly and took the time to re organize all of my belongings and began to finally gather the right paper work. I set them on my desk and grabbed a pen to begin marking notes.

I tried to pull of the cap, (normally simple task) and it would not come off. I thought it was probably an old pen and started trying the rest of my pens. Eventually I realized that all of the caps of my pens were glued on! By now, I was not only embarrassed; I was starting to get a little ticked.

That’s when I heard the roar of laughter from the coworkers who had been watching me struggle all morning.

They all came to my desk and dropped the calendar with a big red circle around the date April 1. Gone was the anger… I just had to laugh along. But don’t worry guys, I’ll get you back!”

No comments:

Post a Comment