Saturday, March 13, 2010

Computer War

Here we go again...

When I got to work yesterday morning, everyone was loitering by my office door. At first I didn’t think twice about it... Until I realized that it was unusually quiet. That’s when the alarms in my head started to sound. From past experience, I knew something just wasn’t right.

Usually, the building is bustling with ringing phones and people laughing, but none of that was going on. It was only after I started up my computer to get to work that I realized that the keys on my keyboard had been switched by the nice people in the art department. Not only were the letters mixed up, they spelled out a few less than wholesome adjectives. I had to admit, despite my confusion, it was a good one. (And after the havoc I wreaked on their computer mice, well deserved)

Of course, I then had to proceed to find someone else’s keyboard to arrange the keys back into position. Funny how after years of touch typing, I still don’t have the darned thing memorized!

Now, you have to know that I couldn’t allow that to be the end of it… Revenge would me mine. So today I got up extra early and went to work. My intent? To play a little computer game of my own. Mainly: changing the language settings on everyone’s desktop.

I made my way into the art department, figuring that I wanted to make everyone’s screen display look like it had been redone in hieroglyphics. Japanese was close enough.

Once the office had filled with my coworkers, the building was filled with laughter and a healthy dose of confusion. The worst part, at least for them, was that they had to keep running upstairs to see how the options menu was configured in order to change their computers back one by one.

I’m usually not one to be cocky but I must admit, I reveled in the glory of my revenge for the rest of the morning. The last laugh was mine. (At least for now)It’s all in good fun... and boy does it make for an exciting workplace.

Gandhi once said, “An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.” Well at our office, the tech department has coined a similar motto: “A prank for a prank leaves everyone with messed up computer drives.” I have a feeling they’ll be plotting some revenge of their own soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment